I've always been naturally thin (it probably has to do with the fact that I'm like the Energizer Bunny -- always on the move!), but I never used to make healthy choices regarding my eating habits. Junk food and fast food were my weaknesses. Worse yet, I NEVER took the time to work out. Outside of the short volleyball season, you'd never see me at the gym. The closest I got to cardio workouts was walking around the mall. About two months back, with the summer coming up, and the swimsuit competition included in the Miss Westchester pageant, I knew I had to make a change.
Contrary to popular belief, you don't need look like a Victoria's Secret model to compete in the swimsuit portion of a pageant. Which is a big relief...because I obviously don't! Swimsuit isn't about being the most curvaceous, or the skinniest girl on the stage. It is about having a body that is physically fit (whatever that may be for you) and strutting your stuff with CONFIDENCE!
Early this summer, I committed to making a change in my life. I wanted to be healthy, I wanted to be happy, and I wanted to be confident enough to take to the stage this fall and rock my swimsuit for the crowd. Flash forward a few weeks to today--I'm ready! I've made small changes in my lifestyle that have produced big results. I'm eating well, working out regularly, and starting to actually see muscle definition when I put on my bikini. I wanted to share some of my tips and tricks here with you -- hopefully, they'll motivate you if you want to make a change in your life as well. Today, I'll share some healthy eating tips -- next week, I'll be back with some of my favorite exercise ideas.
1. Snack smarter. I'm a big snacker -- I love to have treats to enjoy throughout the day. They keep my metabolism going, and keep me from stuffing myself at larger meals. However, I used to snack on junk -- cookies, chips, candy bars, and the like. I decided to cut out these unhealthy foods and replace my snacks with fresh fruit (I love apple slices!), Greek yogurt (a great source of protein!), steamed veggies (snap peas are my favorite!), and more. Your choices don't always have to be healthy -- I'll still go for a cookie occasionally. But by making the effort to replace, rather than just cut out unhealthy food, you'll stay full all day, and avoid binging on junk food after a day of no snacks.
2. Plan ahead. Having a basic meal plan in mind for the next day really helps keep me on track when it comes to healthy eating. I'm extremely busy (2 jobs & 2 internships this summer!) so if I didn't plan ahead, I'd probably make more fast food stops after a long day at work. I've taken to carrying a lunch bag (as elementary school as that may sound!) and filling it with snacks, as well as meals that I can eat while at work. This way, I'm keeping to a regular schedule (not waiting hours, hungry, before I eat dinner) and I'm not as tempted to just grab McDonald's fries for dinner because I don't have anything else.
3. Soup in the summer?! Soup has become one of my favorite choices for lunch and dinner this summer! It might seem strange at first (after all, soup seems more like a curl-up-by-the-fire in the winter meal!), but healthy soups can be a great core to a balanced meal. Try to avoid cream based soups. Soups with a clear broth, loaded up with veggies, are a better choice. Complement your soup with fruit, a dinner roll or crackers, even a small sweet for dessert! You'll be surprised at just how flavorful and filling soups can be.
4. Stop counting calories! If, like me, you're just trying to get healthy, you should not fixate on the calories in the meals you are eating! Yes, it is important to avoid eating meals that have a ridiculous amount of calories (if you need an example, just go into a restaurant and check out the menu -- you'll be shocked at how many meals contain a day's worth of calories!), but it is more important to focus on eating foods that are giving you the proper balance of proteins, carbs, and healthy fats. Just because something is high calorie doesn't mean that it can't be good for you in moderation. It is very simple to become obsessed with calorie counting to the point where you are depriving your body of the essential nutrients you need to stay healthy.
5. Give yourself an "off" day/meal. If your favorite food is red velvet cake, and you're at a party where it is being served, don't be afraid to take a slice and enjoy it! It is always okay to have an "off" day or meal where you allow yourself to indulge in some unhealthy favorites. If you don't allow yourself a bit of leeway, you're going to become unhappy and more likely to give up on your diet alltogether. Like I mentioned before, it is all about moderation.
I hope these tips are helpful if you're trying to eat well this summer! It can be hard to make changes to your diet, but it gets easier over time. I still crave sweets (my ultimate weakness) but I'm starting to think fresh grapes instead of brownies to curb my craving!
*I am not a doctor or professional in any way. These ideas have helped me to live a more healthy lifestyle, but you should always consult a professional before starting any new sort of diet or exercise regimen. It is important that what you are eating and doing suits YOU!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment