Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pageant Playlist

Preparing for a pageant is a LOT of work. You have to choose the perfect wardrobe – for interview, opening number, swimsuit, and the ever-so-important evening gown. You have to perfect your skills as a hairstylist and makeup artist, because flawless presentation is your responsibility. You need to have a healthy lifestyle in the weeks leading up to the pageant because you want to be at the top of your game physically and mentally. And you have to have full confidence in who you are, flaws and all, because you’re not going to win by being like everyone else—you’re going to win by standing out in the crowd by staying true to yourself.

Whew, that was heavy, huh? What about the lighter aspects of pageant preparation? One area of pageant prep that is a lot of fun for me is preparing a pageant playlist. These are the songs that I listen to in the weeks leading up to the pageant to get pumped up and practice my swimsuit strut, and the songs I’ll have ready for me as I go through pageant weekend to keep me focused and give me a musical pep boost whenever I need it. So without further ado, my top-ten pageant playlist. (And yeah, you know that I’ve fully embraced who I am by the diversity of this list!)

10. Broken Wing – Martina McBride : This isn’t a pump up song, rather, it a song that touches my heart each time that I hear it. It reminds me of one of the major reasons that I compete: my platform. I wish I could belt this song out with the power Martina has – but since I can’t, I’ll invest the same passion into making a difference in the fight against domestic violence.

9. Blow – Ke$ha: I remember when Ke$ha just hit the scene – I heard her sing ‘ Tik Tok’ and even though I thought she was a hot mess, the song had a great beat. Blow was used for the swimsuit competition at Miss USA this past year, and I use it when I walk through my living room in my swimsuit: strutting, posing, and torturing my poor family as I beg for critiques.

8. Stronger – Kanye West: “That which does not kill me will only make me stronger” was one of my favorite quotes as a figure skater. I was fortunate enough to compete on both a local and national level, but those opportunities did not come without hard work. This song gets me through my hard workouts—that last rep won’t kill me, but make me stronger in the swimsuit competition for sure!

7. I Was Here – Beyonce: What would any list be without Beyonce? Beyonce is one of my favorite female celebrities, mainly because of how fierce she is. Here, she shows us her softer side, and echoes my feelings of wanting to make an impact on the world around me through my actions.

6. Moves Like Jagger – Maroon 5: My bird absolutely HATES this song because of the whistling, but I have to disagree with him (Sorry, Bully!). It really gets me pumped up to be on stage—and since it was used in the Victoria’s Secret fashion show this year, I picture myself as an Angel and channel their energy as I walk.

5. Moment 4 Life (Feat. Drake) - Nicki Minaj:Most of Nicki Minaj's song are catchy, and this is no exception. However, while some of her songs are cathcy without much substance (Superbass, anyone?), this song has a bit more heart, and I don't mind being reminded that "No, I'm not lucky, I'm blessed."

4. I Was Here – Lady Antebellum: While this song and Beyonce’s have the same title and message, they have differing styles that make them each unique. This song opens strong: “You WILL notice me…” and hopefully, the judges will—for the passion and drive I bring to each and every part of my life, hoping to “touch a few hearts in this life, and leave nothing less than something that says I was here.”

3. Domino – Jessie J: With this song, it isn’t really about the words. She has me for the beginning: “I’m feeling sexy and free, like glitters raining on me”, but after that, I’m just enjoying the upbeat tempo of this catchy tune. It’s another great swimsuit walk practice song – give it a whirl!

2. Like My Mother Does – Lauren Alaina: I didn’t watch Lauren’s season of American Idol, but I did stop and listen when I saw this song appear on iTunes. It perfectly describes the way I feel about my mother—and going into Miss NY USA, she has been my #1 fan. I wouldn’t have made it this far without her support, and she’ll be the first person I look for in the audience at states. Now, I just have to convince Lauren to write songs about dads and sisters – because mine are pretty darn awesome.

1. Sexy and I Know It – LMFAO: Come on. Admit it, you knew from the start this song was going to be here. Great beat for walking, great lyrics for getting pumped up. Enough said.

Hope you enjoyed this list! I'll be back soon with some more pageant prep updates, and perhaps even a sneak peak into my Miss NY USA wardrobe!

Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment