Thursday, August 15, 2013

Smarts, Sisterhood, and Style: Miss Thousand Islands 2014

This past weekend, I competed in the Miss Thousand Islands 2014 pageant.

Opening Number!

Where do I even start to begin? This time last week, I was rushing through my days, trying to squeeze in all of my last minute pageant preparations. There was a trip to the nail salon to have my fingers & toes painted the perfect nude shade, a trip to the Ah Spa to have my hair styled by Annie (a true hair artist who I am also glad to call a supportive, caring, and ultra-stylish friend), even a run to Sephora to pick up some last minute must-haves (liquid eyeliner and tan-in-a-can, if you’re wondering). When Friday arrived, it was time to wake up ultra-early and start the trek to the Thousand Islands. I say trek because instead of driving straight up, we had a very important pit stop to make—my sister’s road test in Herkimer, NY. By the time my mother, sister, fellow pageant sister Ashley and I arrived in Clayton, NY, we were pretty exhausted—but so excited for pageant weekend to begin!
From the start of rehearsals on Friday evening, it was clear that we were all a part of something very special. I can honestly say that this was the strongest group of girls that I have ever competed with. That is a pretty serious claim, considering I’ve competed in the past with girls who have gone on to win their state title! But what made this group of young ladies so special was the fact that I really believe that each and every one of us was at the top of our game this past weekend. We all realized quickly that this was not a pageant that we would want to judge—each girl brought something special to the table, and each of us would have made the region proud as Miss Thousand Islands.

All of the lovely ladies competing, our fabulous hosts, stunning star princesses, and reigning royalty!
That being said, the judges definitely got it right in crowning Olivia Grant Miss Thousand Islands 2014! I was fortunate enough to share a dressing room with Olivia (and some other fabulous gals) this past weekend, and she is beautiful inside and out. I know that is a cliché saying, but just meet Olivia, and you’ll know why I chose it. Her platform is unedited beauty, and it is all about shattering the idea that there is just one mold for beauty in our society and embracing the fact that everyone is beautiful in their own unique way. She has an amazing voice (and I had to sing right after her, a tough act to follow!) and she sparkled on stage in each area of competition. I am looking forward to following her year of service, because it is clear that she is going to do great things.

 3RU Madison, Me, 1RU Michela, Miss TI 2014 Olivia, Miss TI 2013 Lonna, and Miss NY 2013 Nina!

Olivia took home the crown on Saturday, but other special awards were given out as well. Kristina Blackstock was our Miracle Maker (she raised the most money for the Children’s Miracle Network), Madison Manuel was the Community Service Award winner and 3rd runner up, and Michela Moe was the Talent Award winner and 1st runner up. I was incredibly excited to have my personal best plaement EVER at an MAO local, as I won the Interview Award and placed 2nd runner up. I have had a goofy smile on my face since Saturday, because I couldn’t be happier with my performance this weekend. However, my weekend would not have been as wonderful without those around me making it so special:
Dad, Mom, and Shannon: Thank you so much for putting up with my pageant preparations, particularly over the past few weeks! I know that you are glad that I am finally leaving you “On Your Own”, without requesting your feedback on my non-stop talent rehearsals.
Peter and Laura: Again, I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to drive up and watch me compete! It meant so much to me to share my special weekend with you.
Chris: You are a miracle worker who took my talent performance to the next level in under an hour. You are always there to support me in whatever pageant road I decide to walk down, and your kindness and friendship has meant so much to me over the last year. I can’t wait to start preparing for the next locals with you!
Shelby, Sue, and Gary: Thank you for giving so much of your time, your money, your efforts, your energy, and your passion towards running the Miss Thousand Islands Organization. You run, without a doubt, the most incredible local in the Empire State. You treated all of us competitors like we were winners from the start, supported us in our journey, and because of you, we all walked away from the Opera House this weekend a better version of ourselves.
Lonna: It is clear that you committed to making an impact as Miss Thousand Islands, and I think that each and every one of us competing learned something from you this weekend. You are strong, you are smart, and you are stylish. It is sad to see you leave the world of pageantry, because I think I would have absolutely loved the chance to compete with you at a state pageant, but I wish you nothing but success and happiness as you move on to your future!
Katherine: I am so glad we got to compete together after being twitter friends for so long. I love the genuine passion you bring to your talent performance. I also love your honesty and great advice! I look forward to continuing our tweeting and seeing you succeed in the future.
Kristina: You had me laughing all weekend, and you deserved your Miss Congeniality award (I totally voted for you!) I wish that we lived closer together, but I will be letting you know whenever I’m your area so that I can come pig out on cookie dough with you!
Morgan: As a former Miss TI, you knew the ropes and helped all of us out this weekend. You carry yourself with grace, and your passion for CMN and MAO is evident to everyone you meet. I am so glad to have met a fellow hospital sister and will hopefully see you at future Miss TI events!
Ashley: Thank you for putting up with our crazy ride upstate! You are wise beyond your years and I know that you have an incredible future awaiting you, both in pageants and other areas of your life. Don’t ever give up on your pageant dreams, because I want nothing more than to come cheer you on like a crazy lady when you next compete!
Emily: I am obsessed with your hair and your awesome dance moves! You are so kind and sweet, and I will be cheering you on as you continue to compete this year!
Taylor: You have a truly beautiful voice and a great sense of style! I hope that your move to NYC brings you nothing but happiness, and I hope that we will be seeing each other on the stage at NYC locals this spring!
Madison: You impressed me from workshop because while you might be young, you command attention both on and off the stage. You are passionate about helping others, have an awesome talent, and a haircut I am insanely jealous of. I cannot wait to see you continue to compete, because you are going to be a force to be reckoned with!
Michela: I love the fact that you have brought your island attitude and dance moves to New York! You are a great competitor, and you have the same aura of class and style that your icon, Kate Middleton, has. Have a great senior year—I’m hoping it involves a trip to Miss NY at the end of it!
Vern & Julia: You both are the perfect combination of beauty, style, sweetness, and sass. You had me cracking up back stage one minute, and practically tearing up the next because of your kind words. You both are going to kick butt on the Miss NY stage in a couple of years, and when you do, I will be your biggest fans.
The Miss TI Organization: I could keep going on and on with individual thanks, but there are so many people involved with Miss TI that this would turn into a novel instead of a blog post. To the board, thank you for your support in ensuring that pageant weekend is a success for all of the girls. I appreciated your input at workshop and your smiles and kind words throughout pageant weekend. To the former titleholders (Ann, Alison, Corri, Kristina, Kristan): WOW. Not only do you all still look like you could win the pageant, but you are incredibly kind and it meant so much to me that you continue to give back to the pageant year after year. Thank you for your help both on and offstage and for continuing to be examples in the community after your reigns came to an end. To everyone who helped backstage, to the sponsors who provided our meals, to the parents, to the local community, THANK YOU. This weekend could not have been so special without each and every one of you.
This is a long post, yet it still does not come close to matching the outpouring of love and support that I encountered this weekend. The Miss Thousand Islands Organization is truly special, and I look forward to supporting them in the years to come. 

 My favorite picture of the evening! I think it is very clear how genuinely happy we all are for Olivia!
For now, it’s time to hang up my dresses and unwind. But before you know it, local pageant season will be in full swing. I am looking forward to continuing to give it my all this year, and hoping with all of my heart that you will see me on stage with Olivia this summer as a fellow competitor!
Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment