Tuesday, August 13, 2013

You can be one too!

One of my favorites aspects of pageantry is being able to promote my personal platform: L8ER H8ER - Saying Goodbye to Teen Dating Violence. Addressing domestic violence has been a concern of mine since the summer of 2010, when I interned with mark. cosmetics. They had their own m.powerment fund, which made it easy for teens and young women to support domestic violence prevention and intervention services nationwide: by purchasing specific jewelery and cosmetics from the brand, donations were made. In the late spring of 2011, I took my participation to the next level and completed Sister in Law Training with My Sisters' Place here in Westchester County. As a Sister in Law, I've been able to accompany survivors of domestic violence to their court appearances, promote My Sisters' Place at local events, and even help paint one of their shelters! There are so many ways to get involved in supporting this wonderful organization, but becoming a Sister in Law is the first step in any volunteer opportunity available.  Their fall training opportunity is quickly approaching, so I thought I'd post their informational flyer here.

 
Volunteering at My Sisters' Place:
v  We are looking for caring, compassionate volunteer advocates to support survivors of domestic violence
v  Volunteers are needed to provide clients with emotional support during court hearings and related social service and medical appointments
v  Volunteers are needed to assist with childcare in our offices and in our shelters, and to work on our hotline and assist with MSP events
v  Volunteers are needed to help raise awareness about Domestic Violence by attending community outreach events
Am I right for this opportunity?
v  No experience is necessary
v  Volunteers are needed weekdays during business hours
v  Volunteers provide direct support to survivors of domestic violence
v  We are in need of volunteers “que habla espanol”
How do I become a Volunteer?
v  Submit a Volunteer Application by 9/10/13
v  Complete ALL mandatory training sessions Volunteer Training and Support: 
MSP provides 30 hours of mandatory educational training conducted by our professional staff which is designed to educate and empower volunteers to support victims of domestic violence. We request that volunteers commit to providing 60 service hours per year (post-training).
Now accepting applications for training sessions to be held in our White Plains office on 9/17, 9/19, 9/26 and 10/1. On 9/24 training will be held in our Yonkers Office Volunteers must attend all training sessions – 9:00-4:00 each day
Apply: www.mspny.org – Click on “Get Involved” - submit completed volunteer application and any questions to volunteer@mspny.org.              
 
 
 
*Bonus points if you reconigze this blog title from the "Captain Planet and the Planeteers!" It was one of my favorite TV shows growing up. While I can't offer you the chance to save the planet's natural resources, I CAN promise that becoming a SIL offers you the chance to be a "hero" in many other ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment