Last year, as I packed for the Miss Westchester pageant, I included a few dresses. The simple but sexy black bandage dress loaned to me by my pageant coach for interview. The sleek and sassy opening number dress. The sophisticated and sparkly evening gown. And a beaded blue cocktail dress that I knew would look great under the Miss Westchester 2012 sash.
Wait...what?! First of all, I bet you were expecting another 's' alliterative description. Sorry, after 3, I was done. Second, why did I bring an extra dress to wear to the coronation party that I knew befit a titleholder? Isn't that conceited? Did I just expect to win? Is that REALLY the right attitude to have going into a pageant?
Yes, it is. And here is my explanation.
I didn't go into Miss Westchester EXPECTING to win. But I did go into the pageant expecting to do my very best. Regardless of the outcome, I wanted to be able to look back on my evening as a wonderful experience. Throughout the summer, I had worked extensively to prepare for the pageant: with the fabulous Kandice Pelletier as my coach, the internet (thank you, The Pageant Planet!) as an invaluable resource, and my family as my support system. I knew that I would be bringing my best to the stage, and it was that confidence that I had in myself that led me to pack the extra dress. I hoped with all of my heart that I would be able to wear it as Miss Westchester that evening, and knowing that it was waiting in the dressing room was an inspiration to me all night.
So ladies, as you prepare for pageant weekend, you should pack that extra dress. It isn't about thinking that you SHOULD or WILL win the title. It is knowing that you COULD, because you have done everything in your power to prepare for a year under the crown. There is a huge difference between the two. And regardless of whose name is called at the end of the night, if you know that you have invested yourself into making the most of this experience, you will walk away a winner, crown or no crown. And that extra dress? Well, you're going to rock it regardless of your accessories.
Love,
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment