Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Inspiration #16


I'll admit it -- I have a weakness for beautiful things: the latest styles in clothing, luxurious makeup, sleek electronics, buttery leather bags. Living in Westchester County (and I'm sure in the United States overall!), it is easy to get caught up in "keeping up"! Everyone wants the latest and the best of everything, and it is easy for me to fall prey to this line of thinking.

Over the past year, I've done my best to quell my desire to always have more. I've budgeted more carefully, spent less time shopping, and attempted to live minimally (I got lots of great advice about living minimally from Rebecca Kelsey, check out her blog by clicking HERE). I recently told my mom that looking back, I am sickened by the excess I had in my life. Over the course of the year, I have donated boxes and bags full of clothing, shoes, accessories, books, and so much more to charity. Instead of feeling remorse or emptiness, I've found that my life feels more full than ever. That fullness comes from a new appreciation and thankfulness for what I have, rather than that nagging voice telling me that I don't have enough.

I recently came across this quote, and I can truly appreciate its meaning. Even in my adjusted "minimal" state, I am ridiculously blessed. It humbling to realize that I don't want for anything--perhaps my items aren't always the newest, but they are all functional. Sadly, that is more than some people can say. Yet so many people with so little are more thankful for each small blessing in their life than the millionaire who is constantly throwing money out for the latest trend.

As the holiday season approaches, I hope that we will all focus on what we have, and being thankful for it, rather than waste our time wishing for something else. The peace and happiness that comes from doing so far outlasts the fleeting rush that comes from any purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment