Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Rock the Vote 2012

Four years ago around this time of year, I was walking around feeling pretty darn awesome about myself. Why? I had just turned 18! Looking back, being 18 didn't have the tremendous impact on my life that I thought it would. I wasn't interested in purchasing tobacco products, and after working part-time since junior year to save up money for a car and shopping trips, I wasn't all that intrigued with gambling either. However, there is one thing that being 18 allowed me to do that I was interested in then and remain interested in to this day: voting.

I happened to turn 18 on an predidential election year (bonus points to my parents if they actually planned that out ahead of time), and even though it was overwhelming to follow the campaigns at the time, it was still very exciting! The most important advice that I would give to anyone voting for the first time is to take the time to educate yourself and decide on your own who you want to give your vote to. As a young voter, it is SO easy to be influenced by your family, friends, and the media. I got incredibly sick and tired of people telling me that I should vote one way or the other based on my age, my race, my socioeconomic status, my faith...and the list goes on and on! All of these factors may play a role in who you decide to vote for, but in the end, it is YOUR decision to make, not a decision made for you based on where you are coming from.

You may be wondering why voting even matters. I personally vote for a few different reasons. First, our nation was established on the basis of democracy. As an American, I believe in keeping this tradition alive by actively participating in our political system. Second, I vote because in our not too distant past, I wouldn't have even been able to vote as an African-American and as a woman! This right was hard fought for, and I will respect the efforts made by taking advantage of it. Finally, I vote because I know that my generation is making a difference this election season. According to Rock the Vote, we will make up nearly 1/4 of the entire electorate in 2012! Let's build our power and urge candidates to pay attention to the issues that matter to young Americans.


If you haven't yet registered to vote, it is incredibly easy to do so by visiting Rock the Vote by clicking HERE.

Remember, be sure to start following both the presidential and any other campaigns that may be of interest to you and your community, consider what issues matter the most to you, and start encouraging your friends to vote as well. I'll see you on Election Day!

Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment