Sunday, October 16, 2011

Making Strides

Whew! It's been 9 days since my last post -- sorry about that! Tomorrow starts 'Study Days' at my school (a few days off), so my teachers had to squeeze in some tests before we left. Tests are EXTREMELY rare at Sarah Lawrence, but this fall, I'm "lucky" enough to take two courses that require exams: Statistics and Spanish. Luckily, I enjoy them both! And with tests behind me, and free time ahead, I have some time to sit down and blog about my recent happenings.

Today, an event that I've been looking forward to since the summer finally arrived: the American Cancer Society's Making Strides walk for breast cancer. I've mentioned the walk a few times before on my blog. Breast cancer research and support programs are very important to me because my beautiful neighbor was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year. Coincidentally, she just finished her last round of chemo earlier this week. Her fight continues, but it was so inspiring to meet my neighbors here in Westchester who walked not only to raise money to provide "more pink for their green", but also to support local women and men with breast cancer.

The walk was great -- it was almost 5 miles long, and you had to finish the entire walk with no transportation. In a way, it reminded all of us that cancer patients can't take any shortcuts on their journey to remission. They have to finish the journey, no matter how long and how hard it is. Getting to talk with Westchester residents along the way was a lot of fun. Everyone, from smiling survivors, to those walking in honor of loved ones lost, was inspiring to hear from.

Even if you didn't walk today, you still can make a donation to the cause by clicking here. And if you want to get inspired to join in the walk next year, enjoy these pictures from the day!

T-shirts I made for my team, "Beauty Queens for a Cure!"

Westchester Country Executive Rob Astorino was at the event to show his support for the cause.

Getting ready to start walking! Check out that crowd!

With my boyfriend's mother, Maura, at the end of the walk. She's great!

Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment