Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Yonkers Columbus Day Parade

This Sunday, I got to participate in my first parade as Miss Westchester! I was extremely excited because not only was it my first parade, it took place in my hometown of Yonkers, New York. Throughout the year, we are going to be a part of many parades: some big, some small, some in warm weather, some in cold, you get the idea! These parades will be taking place all around Westchester, and I can't wait to get to visit some of the beautiful cities, towns, and villages that our county has to offer. However, it was really special to start the year off in a city that I know extremely well and am proud to represent.

Jackie and I meeting some Marine JROTC students from Lincoln High School in Yonkers

The parade got started at around 2PM on Sunday. Before it started, we had the chance to meet some of the other groups who would be in the parade, including students representing local Catholic schools, a group of Marine JROTC students from Lincoln High school, multiple drum lines, the team from Top Class Limousine, and even our local state senator, Andrea Stewart-Cousins!

Jackie and I with Andrea Stewart-Cousins, a New York State Senator.

I had so much fun getting to see so many Yonkers residents on the parade route. It was especially great to see so many familiar faces of friends I've made over the years. Overall, it was a great afternoon! I can't thank the parade organizers enough for giving us the chance to participate in the parade. It was a wonderful celebration of Italian pride, American pride, and Yonkers pride. Special thanks to White Plains Chrysler Jeep, one of our official sponsors, for sending beautiful new jeeps for us to ride in for the parade!

Another huge thanks goes to our wonderful Miss Westchester Pageant directors, Laura Giannone and Dee van Eyck. Laura spent the afternoon with Jackie and I at the Yonkers Columbus Day Parade, while Dee spent the afternoon with Megan and Bianca (Miss Hudson Valley and Miss Hudson Valley Teen) at the Nanuet Columbus Day Parade. And of course, I can't forget to thank Peter Giannone, our amazing photographer! He deserves an award for walking the entire parade route with us and getting some beautiful shots of the action. Both of the photos included in this post (and images from many of my other blogs) are by him. Check out more photos of our afternoon at the parade by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment