Friday, September 30, 2011

Taking City Hall

Okay, my title might be a bit of an exageration! But this Wednesday, Megan (Miss Hudson Valley 2012) and I, along with our wonderful directors (Dee and Laura) and fabulous photographer (Peter) had the opportunity to visit Yonkers City Hall. Why? Well, we received an invitation to meet the Mayor of Yonkers, Phil Amicone. I felt so honored to be given the opportunity, and was so excited in the days leading up to our appointment.

Mayor Amicone was extremely friendly and welcoming to us. He congratulated us on our recent titles, and we told him how honored we felt to be representing the City of Yonkers this year. Then, much to our surprise, he presented us with proclamations. Growing up the daughter of a police officer, I was very impressed with the proclamations my mother had accumulated during her time of the force. They seemed so official and unattainable. Well, they're still very official, but no longer unattainable. Again, I just felt incredibly honored (a trend in this post!).

Megan and I with Mayor Amicone


After meeting the Mayor, we attended a reception where there were so many wonderful people from Yonkers to meet. While eating some delicious cannolis and sipping on espresso (they even had decaf for me!) we met some of Yonker's judges, veterans, and politicians. It was a pleasure to meet everyone there, and I'm hoping to work with many of them in the future.

I was born and raised in Yonkers, New York. To me, the city is home -- it always has been, and I have a feeling it always will be. Is it perfect? No. But it is full of individuals who care about their neighbors and are striving to make Yonkers the best city that it can be. I hope to make the city very proud throughout my year as Miss Westchester. Thank you, Yonkers, for your support!

Love,
Sarah





No comments:

Post a Comment