Well, it is the blog post you've all been waiting for (I like to pretend that I have a huge blog following waiting for these posts!): the story of pageant day 2, and being crowned Miss Westchester 2012!
We arrived at the White Plains City Center early on Sunday morning for a breakfast at Atlanta Bread Company. They had a tasty spread of goodies waiting for us, and they are one of the few places I have been that offer FLAVORED decaf coffee! I was so excited, because this non-caffeinated girl usually has to have plain coffee when I eat out. During breakfast, we voted for Miss Congeniality. It was a REALLY tough call to make -- I wish I could have voted for everyone! That is how nice all of the girls I encountered during pageant weekend were.
After our breakfast, we headed back to the White Plains Performing Arts Center. A truly crazy-busy morning and afternoon followed. We spent our time split between rehearsing onstage, and practicing our dance routine backstage. They day flew by, and before I knew it I was putting on my makeup and getting dressed for the pageant. I was feeling really nervous because as I was getting ready backstage, my sister was participating in the Miss Westchester Teen pageant onstage! Fortunately, there was a live-feed television screen for us to watch backstage. I am so proud of Shannon -- she took the stage with confidence and handled a difficult on-stage question like a pro. Watching the teen queens being crowned backstage was wonderful. Almost every miss competitor surrounded the television, and we were so happy for the teen winners. Then it hit us -- we would be taking the stage in mere minutes! We all huddled in a circle team (like a well-dressed, all girls football team), put in our hands, and cheered "pageant sisters!" on three. Cheesy, I know -- but in the moment, it was incredible and I knew then that I was going to be happy regardless of if I walked away with the crown or not.
My time spent on stage is a blur. Here are some highlights:
- I thought I was going to faint during swimsuit! My heart was pounding SO hard. As I stood waiting for my name to be called, I tried to take a deep breath and relax. And it worked!
- I almost cried during evening gown! You see, I tripped over a piece of my dress. I thought that it was over for me -- as I exited the stage, I was so upset because I felt like I had just ruined any shot I had at being crowned. Thankfully, my pageant sisters were backstage to make me feel better about my misstep.
- I loved my onstage question! I was asked what my favorite trait about myself was. I spoke about my passion for life, and the energy that I put into everything that I do, so that no matter what happens, I know I have given everything all that I can. I felt confident in my answer, and it echoed my thoughts on competing that night -- I had done the best that I could do, and was proud of myself regardless of the results.
It felt like only five minutes had passed since the start of the show when we took the stage to hear the results of the evening. First, six special awards were announced. Congratulations to:
Miss Congeniality - Samantha Cocozza
Most Photogenic - Jackie Swerz
Style Award - Kathleen LeBlanc
Service Award - Ally Oberrotman
Spirit Award - Erin Wynne
People's Choice Award - Ana Leon
Then, it was time for crowing. Kathleen LeBlanc was the second runner up to Miss Westchester. Ana Leon was the first runner up. (Both are amazing young women!)I stood on stage, realizing that this was it. I was going to be crowned Miss Westchester or I was going to walk away without a crown, but with confidence and a ton of new friends. Then I heard the beginning of the titleholders name: "Sar" and I lost it! For once, I was the only Sarah in the room (usually there are a few of us) and even before they said "Hreyo" I was freaking out, hardly believing that I had been crowned Miss Westchester. I walked to the center of the stage and gave Christina DeLeon, Miss Westchester 2011, a huge hug, then struggled to contain my emotions as she crowned me and I received my sash. I took my first walk as Miss Westchester doing some sort of awkward cry/laugh. While we waited for Miss Hudson Valley to be crowned, I asked Kathleen and Ana if I was dreaming. I couldn't believe that I had been crowned. Miss Hudson Valley 2012, Megan Hernandez, was crowned, and the rest of the evening was filled with picture taking, hugs, and a coronation celebration at Buffalo Wild Wings.
A little over a week has passed now, and I still feel as if I am living a dream. Being crowned Miss Westchester is an incredible honor. I have very big heels to fill, as Christina did an amazing job as Miss Westchester 2011 and really set such a precedence for future titleholders. I am looking forward to a wonderful year.

Dear little girl,
you are terribly blessed
But it's your heart of gold
I love the best
And that will be your crowning glory
your whole life through
It'll always be your crowning glory
The most glorious part of you
No comments:
Post a Comment