Friday, September 23, 2011

Meeting Operation PROM

One of my goals during my year as Miss Westchester is to stay connected -- especially via social media! I recently started a twitter account (you can follow me @MissWestchester) and I've been having fun getting the hang of "tweeting". I've always been more of a casual observer on twitter, but recently, I've had a great time sharing what I've been up to as Miss Westchester in 140 characters or less. I've also found some wonderful people, places, and organizations to follow that are based in Westchester County -- from our County Executive Rob Astorino (@robastorino) to My Sister's Place (@MSPNY), the domestic violence outreach center that I volunteer with. I recently started following Operation PROM (@operationPROM). I had always heard of an organization that gathered gowns to distribute to girls in need, but I didn't realize the magnitude of the work that they do. I was so excited for the chance to learn more about the organization, with the hope of finding a way to get other pageant girls excited about donating some of our gowns to the cause.


It just so happened that Operation PROM had an open house scheduled for Friday, September 23, mere days after I began following them on twitter! Noel, the founder of Operation PROM, was so sweet via twitter, tweeting out an invite when I expressed my interest in donating some dresses. I knew that it was an event I didn't want to miss.


Meeting Noel D'Allacco, Founder & Executive Director of Operation PROM



When I arrived at the event, I immediately noticed the fabulous tables set up throughout the room with raffle prizes. I stopped by the ticket table to purchase some tickets and Noel came over to introduce herself to me. I was SO glad that she did, because I didn’t know anyone at the event and was planning on going from person to person trying to figure out who the founder was! She was so incredibly friendly, and so full of great ideas to help Operation PROM continue to grow in Westchester and beyond. I dropped off the dress I had brought with me to donate, and then explored the different tables so that I could decide what raffles to enter.


The evening flew by -- Noel awarded a kind couple (their names escape me right now) with an award for their support of Operation PROM. Then Nicole Sheindlin, founder of Her Honor mentoring, briefly spoke to the guests at the event. Her words were very inspiring -- she matches high school seniors throughout Westchester with mentors who encourage and inspire them as they go through their final year of high school. I also had the pleasure of meeting Amna, who Noel had mentored through the program last year. She just started her first year at the Pratt Institue and is studying fashion design. I can’t wait to see her designs on the runway someday!


All in all, it was a wonderful evening -- I even ended up winning a gorgeous necklace in the raffle! More importantly, I was able to meet some incredible people who really are making a difference in the lives of young girls here in Westchester. I’m really hoping to get involved more with Operation PROM this year. And hopefully, one day I’ll be just as successful as Noel, and be able to mentor a student through Her Honor mentoring!


For more information about Operation PROM, click here.

For more information about herhonor Mentoring, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment