Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Behind the scenes: Pageant Day 1

Today I woke up early, hoping to give myself enough time to get ready for school (side note: why doesn't summer vacation last until October?). Well, I definitely gave myself enough time and more, as I realized when I double-checked my schedule that my class starts half an hour later than I though it did! So, I decided to come on here and write a very special blog post. I tried to do so yesterday, but I think that I was still adjusting to the realization that I am Miss Westchester 2012!

Yes, you read that correctly. After a whirlwind weekend, I was crowned as the 2nd Miss Westchester ever! I am SO excited to begin my year of service. And, I'm really excited to share all that I do with everyone here on my blog. So, let me start by sharing the story of the incredible pageant weekend!

We actually arrived at the City Center in White Plains for the first time as a complete group on Saturday. The pageant was held at the White Plains Performing Arts Center. It is a beautiful venue -- and the crazy thing is that I didn't know it existed until the pageant! I love the theater, especially musicals, so I am hoping to catch a few shows there this year. I arrived at the theater with purse, garment bag, and pink suitcase in hand. I wish I had a picture to show you -- I definitely looked like I was going on a long-term vacation. Once at the theater, all of the girls had time in the dressing rooms to get prepared for our individual interviews with the judges.

The interviews were held at Buffalo Wild Wings at the City Center, another place that I have never been before. I actually don't like chicken wings! But I have to tell you, I do like Buffalo Wild Wings after my visit. The restaurant itself is gorgeous (I know, not the first word you think of when you think about chicken wings!). Our interviews took place on the second floor, in an enclosed seating area. We had four minutes to speak with each of the five judges. My interview went really well. I love meeting new people and sharing my passions with them, and I had the opportunity to speak about things that I really care about, from my platform to the importance of education. I left the restaurant feeling really at peace about how the interview had went, and headed back to the theater to primp for the media and sponsors party.

After a few quick changes to take photos in each of our pageant outfits and glamming up my interview outfit for the night, it was back to Buffalo Wild Wings for the media and sponsor party. This was just an opportunity to meet members of the media and sponsors of the pageant, take part in a mini runway walk where we were judged for the pageant style award, and (most importantly) EAT!

Believe it or not, our night wasn't done yet! We all headed back to the theater to do run throughs of our stage walking patterns with Kandice Pelletier, Miss NY 2005 and my wonderful pageant coach! Then, our reigning Miss Westchester 2011, Christina DeLeon, worked on teaching us the choreography for the opening number of the pageant. The dance was a bit tricky to learn at first, but we all practiced like crazy so that we could make Christina proud!

I realize that this post is getting a bit long and rambling, so I'm going to stop here, ending this post with the end of Day 1. I'll come back tomorrow to talk about Day 2, including the actual pageant, crowning, and more! However, I can't end this post without mentioning a few special things.

Saturday was the day that all of the pageant contestants all finally met for the first time. I had met a few of the girls at past events, but there were some ladies that I didn't get the chance to meet until this weekend. Most people would assume that pageant girls are all catty, and that we all stood backstage not talking to each other while secretly sizing each other up and planning acts of sabotage. That is simply NOT the case! I can say with complete honesty that each and every girl I competed with this weekend was not only gorgeous on the outside, but one of the nicest people you will ever meet on the inside. On top of that, they were all extremely smart! One of the best parts of the weekend was just hanging out in the dressing rooms, helping each other out with hair and makeup, chatting about life, and squealing over each other's outfits.


Erin & I being silly backstage!


One of the best parts of this weekend for me will always be the memories of hanging out in the dressing room with all of the wonderful women of the Miss Westchester/Miss Hudson Valley pageant. Thank you all so much for encouragement, your support, your smiles, and your hugs this weekend! You are all incredible and I hope to see you all at future events.

Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment