For most people (myself included!), going on vacation can mean losing control of your eating habits. Without being in your kitchen and cooking your meals, it can be hard to make healthy choices. This weekend, I gave up on controlling my food intake the first day, when we went to get breakfast at iHop. Yet, I don't feel the weekend has destroyed the hard work I've put into getting bikini ready this summer--here's why.
Tips for a Fit & Fun Vacation:
1. Read the menu! Most restaurants offer healthier choices on their menu if you're willing to take a closer look. At iHop, for example, I was able to replace my sides with egg substitute and turkey bacon. Those small choices saved calories, but more importantly, offered a better balance of nutrients.
2. Get out and play! If there is ever a time to let your inner child out, vacation is it! What better way to stay toned than swimming, long walks on the boardwalk, and bike rides? I hadn't taken a bike ride in YEARS, and was amazed at the workout it gave my legs. And I'm way more motivated to take a dip in the pool after a morning at the beach than I am to hit the gym after work.
3. Don't beat yourself up! I ate fudge this weekend. I enjoyed a burger at a BBQ. I ordered chicken and dumplings from Cracker Barrel. And I don't regret doing so! A few days of unhealthy choices isn't the end of the world, and it DEFINITELY isn't going to have a long lasting impact on your body if you return to healthy foods and exercise upon your return.
I feel refreshed, and ready to return to my regular schedule this week. I just hit the grocery store for some of my favorite healthy foods -- snap peas, Greek yogurt, vitamuffin tops, and egg whites! What are some of your favorite healthy choices? I hope you get to enjoy them this week.
Love,
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment