I brought children into this dark world because it needed the light that only a child can bring. ~Liz Armbruster
This past week, I had the remarkable opportunity to volunteer at the childcare center at My Sister's Place. As many of you know, My Sister's Place is very near and dear to my heart as I support a platform of empowering young women against domestic violence when I enter pageants. Because this issue is so important to me, it is WAY more than just a topic that I talk to judges about. It is a cause that I am actively involved in here in our community.
I volunteered in the childcare center for four hours this past week. When I arrived, the room was empty. Two minutes later, it was swarming with children! I had a group of children ranging in age from 18 months to 10 years old. While their family members received services from My Sister's Place, the kids were able to watch a movie, play with a huge selection of toys, and do artwork. Going into the day, I was worried that my heart would break for each of these children -- I'm sure that some of them have been witnesses to violence in their homes, a place a child should feel safe and secure. Instead, I was inspired by their resilience. In spite of their circumstances (which I honestly know no details about), these boys & girls were kind and loving to their peers and to me throughout the morning. The older girls taught the younger girls how to created beaded jewelry. The boys had a robot war together. The babies babbled and toddled their way across the room, getting into everything in sight. And under the 'Hands are not for hurting' sign that hangs on a wall in the room, I saw them exchange hugs and share gently with their new friends.
Domestic violence, be it emotional or physical, really can take a toll on children. I could tell that for some of the children, life hasn't been easy. Yet in spite of the darkness that they may have been through, they truly shone like bright lights that morning. Their gentle spirits and smiles illuminated the room with love--a feeling that I hope will stick with them as they grow into adults and start families of their own.
No comments:
Post a Comment