Thursday, August 11, 2011

Miss Penitentiary 2011...not such a bad idea, after all.

Yesterday, I came across this news article:


I'll admit it -- my first reaction? Laughter. These women in prison aren't even allowed to shave their legs, and they're having a beauty pageant? I posted the link to my facebook page with a sarcastic comment notifying all of my friends that this was such a great opportunity. Well, I got to thinking and I realized...it is.

Think about it. I have no idea why these women are even in prison--all I know is that they have committed some kind of crime. I don't know their motivation for doing whatever crime it is that they have committed, but I do know that for most of them, being in prison probably isn't the greatest confidence booster. Maybe a pageant is just what these women need to start them on their journey to empowerment. Gaining back their self-confidence can hopefully lead to a better sense of self-worth. Feeling beautiful on the outside in a gown instead of the usual prison garb may be the first step towards wanting to feel beautiful on the inside as well.


So congratulations to Raira Paixao, Miss Penitentiary 2011. Perhaps pageantry will encourage Raira and her fellow contestants to strive to be a better women on the inside every day, as it has for me.

Love,
Sarah

*Photo Credit: International Business Times. Check out more photos here.*

1 comment:

  1. I tagged you in the One Lovely Blog Award! Spread the love to your favorite bloggers!

    Here is your award: Link!

    Kindness is the best accessory,
    rebeccakelsey.com

    ReplyDelete