Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Just let go, just BE

I've been obsessing lately.

I tend to obsess over things a lot. If I spot a new purse I love? I obsess. I drool over it until I finally either make the purchase, or move on to something new. I find a new song I love? I obsess. I listen to it nonstop, sing it in the shower, and basically drive everyone around me crazy with my new favorite tune. My obsession can be a good thing -- I'd like to call it a drive, a passion, that inspires me to follow through and achieve the goals I set for myself.

But lately, it has been a bad thing. You see, I've been obsessing over the things that I can't control. The past. The future. The choices I've made -- could I have made better decisions? The dreams that I have -- will they ever be fulfilled? These thoughts have been taking over my mind, and today I realized that I've had enough.

Last summer, as an intern for mark., I had the opportunity to listen to then mark. global president Claudia Poccia tell her story. It was so inspiring to hear about the journey she had been on to reach the position she was in. She closed our "lunch and learn" session by challenging us to always live in the moment.

Today, I'm taking that challenge to heart. I'm not going to dwell on what has been or what could be -- I am going to focus on where I am right now. I am going to enjoy each and every opportunity that comes my way, and live for today.

As I prepare for the Miss Westchester pageant, this will be especially important. There are so many wonderful people to meet, experiences to be had, and moments to learn from in these final weeks leading up to the pageant. I am going to enjoy each and every part of being a Miss Westchester contestant, because when the moment comes to crown a queen and I stand on stage waiting to hear a name called, I don't want to have any regrets. I will simply stand there, a smile on my face, drinking in that magical moment.

Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment